One of our members noticed a tick on their dog after visiting the cottage this past weekend. The tick was taken to their veterinarian for testing and was found to be carrying Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever – a potentially deadly bacterial disease spread through the bite of an infected tick! It’s important that your family and friends educate themselves on ticks and be diligent for checking themselves and pets.
Please review this CDC webpage for details on Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. For more general tips on ticks in Ontario please read this CBC news article.