Here are some resources to help educate and promote safe boating on Bob Lake. We encourage everyone to familiarize yourself with this material and share with others that enjoy our lake. Please use the contact form on our Safe Boating home page if you have any recommendation for other references to add.
The OPP want to hear about dangerous or illegal boating activity. If you are witness to such then you are encouraged to contact them by calling 1-888-310-1122 (in case of an emergency dial 9-1-1). Gather as much information as possible by taking detailed notes including:
- Location where the illegal/dangerous boating is taking place.
- Description of the boat including: boat registration number, colour, make, model, time, and a description of the operator.
- Details about the incident: description of the activity, time of day, direction of travel, frequency and location
- Take photos and/or video of the activity. as this may be useful to the police.
- Safe Boating Guide – The complete guide for owners and operators of all types of water craft – a must read!
- Office of Boating Safety – Transport Canada’s Office of Boating Safety homepage.
- The Canadian Navigable Waters Act – The federal act describing the public use of waterways across Canada.
- Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations (VORR) – The complete list of federal regulations for boat operators.
- Private Buoy Regulations
Safe Quiet Lakes
The Safe Quiet Lakes organization website is packed with information and references to make our lakes “safer and quieter to ensure the sustainable enjoyment of a treasured shared resource“. This includes great material such as the following:
- The Be #WakeAware campaign website sponsored by The Muskoka Lakes Association, Safe Quiet Lakes and FOCA. Probably the single best resource for educational material on why wakes matter – a must read for every boat operator! Be sure to watch the video and take in the Watch Your Wake brochure…and if you do any wakeboarding, then checkout the Wakeboat Etiquette webpage.
- FOCA’s Watch Your Wake webpage is filled wake references, including the very comprehensive Watching Your Wake document – A great guide for understanding your wake, how to control it, and why.
- The Safe Quite Lakes website and references noted above also has some great information on wakes.
- Boat Right & Be Polite – A great 2-page reference published by the Lake of Bays Association on safe boating tips – another must read!
- BoaterSkills.ca – The “Drivers Ed for Boaters” website.
- Boating Ontario
- Canadian Safe Boating Council – A comprehensive website dedicated to safe boating in Canada.
- FOCA’s Boating Safety – FOCA’s safe boating tips with many other references. See also FOCA’s Boating Overview webpage for other valuable boating information.
- Paddle Canada – A great resource for all forms of paddle power!